Aubrac or "Alto braco"
Aubrac ("alto braco", high place) has existed since the 12th century and its history is inseparable from the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela. The Via Podiensis (starting from the Puy-en-Velay) is one of the routes most frequented by pilgrims in France.
Traces of the old monastery-hospital for the pilgrims on their way to Santiago de Compostela: 12th century Church of the Domerie, 14th century English Tower and 15th century Hospital.
The Royal Aubrac, a former sanatorium for tuberculosis patients, was opened in 1902.
Ten years later in became the Hotel Royal. The building passed into the ownership of the Fédération des Œuvres Laïques de l’Aveyron (Aveyron Federation of Secular Works) in 1960 and hosts holiday camps and seminars. It has recently been bought out by a private individual who plans to convert it into a hotel.